SHARE For Dementia is an evidence-based care-planning program that provides professionals with the tools they need to help families facing an early-stage dementia diagnosis.
Benjamin Rose Institute on Aging provides licensing, training and technical support to organizations offering SHARE. SHARE provides organizations with tools to help their clients in the early stages of dementia voice their preferences for care, and facilitate communication with loved ones.
The goals of SHARE are to:
- Support care partners and help them communicate effectively and plan for the future
- Promote Health and well-being, and decrease stress
- Encourage participation in fulfilling Activities
- Learn about available Resources that reflect care partners’ values and preferences
- Provide Education about dementia and how to manage changes that lie ahead
PROVEN TO BE EFFECTIVE THROUGH RIGOROUS RESEARCH!
- High program satisfaction
- Improved communication
- Increased use of services
- Development of a care plan for the future
SHARE counselors receive a comprehensive toolkit to help them guide families through the 5-session program (plus optional family session).
The SHARE Toolkit enables professionals to deliver the SHARE Program. The toolkit includes:
- SHARE Program Manual
- SHARE Counselor Certified Online Training Course
- SHARE Guide for Families
- SHARE Counselor’s Guide
- SHARE app for iPad*
- SHARE Magnet Boards and Magnetic Tiles
*iPad not provided
Each SHARE session is designed to engage both the person living with early-stage dementia and their care partner in discussions about symptoms, communication, care values and preferences, healthy activities and planning for the future.
Read about SHARE on the pre-approved list of evidence-based programs available on the National Council on Aging (NCOA) website.
"There are some very powerful conversations during
the SHARE sessions. Each person has permission
to care for themselves, and the person who has
dementia is confident that their care partner will
make good decisions down the road."
~ SHARE Counselor